This was part of a collaboration between the minor in Spanish for the Professions in the Department of Romance Languages and the Latijam program in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
The Spanish for Journalism course is a service-learning course so most students were able to write a news article related to the work they were doing in the local Chapel Hill and Carrboro communities. For example:
- the first article published was written by Elizabeth DuVall about the 10th anniversary celebration of our local Latino Community Credit Union: La Cooperativa Latina de Crédito celebró su décimo aniversario.
- Kelsey Rice wrote about a new bilingual recipe book: Recetas para una vida saludable: El programa Saludamos y "You say tomato; Yo digo tomate".
- Colleen Cook published an article about an adult ESL program entitled Más latinos quieren aprender inglés.
- Allison Meeks' article is about her work at a food bank in a local church: Voluntarias afroamericanas atienden un banco de alimentos que hacen feliz a muchos latinos.
- Ashley Patton and Jessica Roache wrote about La Fiesta del Pueblo in their article entitled Más de 20,000 visitantes acudieron a La Fiesta del Pueblo.
Stay posted to Latijam for more publications!
Congratulations to all the students for their hard work in the course and for their publishing successes!